Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Reconstructing History

That's me (Mdm Low) when I was a toddler!! Cute or not? You will find that your parents' potraits when they were young were probably like mine; taken next to a pot of sunflower and on cemented floor.
My 3rd aunt's wedding where I was a flower girl. That's my grandmother who had already passed away, next to her.

My family potrait before my 2nd brother was born. See the similarities between my dad and I?


How would you go about constructing your own family History ?

How far back do you think you will be able to trace back to ? Your great-grandparents' time or your great great great grandparents' era ? Is there a proper record kept that has listed down ALL your family members ? Do you still know of any long lost relatives still living in China or Malaysia or India?

Do you have any idea what they did in the past for a living? Or where they stayed or how life was like in the olden days? Who can you ask to prove that they really existed? What evidence will you be able to find ?

I found out a long, long time ago when my grandmother was still alive, that she lived in China when she was young, before their family came to Singapore. She had a brother who then went to Thailand tobecome a Thai boxer. I remember her showing me age-old photographs with very blurry images but I was not interested then. She told me about her life in the kampong when she was young and how fire had destroyed her home 2 times and all her possessions were gone and she had to start all over again. I found out about how during the Japanese Occupation and she was pregnant with my uncle, the Japanese raided their house but they gave her food when they saw that she was with child. I also learnt how her husband, my grandfather committed suicide because he was in debts...and many many more interesting stories.

My grandfather from my father's side of the family was originally from China. They all came here because of the job opportunities in the early 1900s. Up to today, my uncles are still in touch with some of our relatives from China. In 1995, one of my grand uncles from China came to visit and I learnt that I have a cousin who is a scientist with the government building rockets to go to the moon!!

Check out this blogsite of a Chinatown boy who loves his history:
http://kinkonkid.blogspot.com/

So are you going to find out more now about your family history? Who are the people you can ask? Where can you find records and pictures? Wouldn't it be great if you can pass down these information to YOUR own children!! YOU can start by keeping a record of your own childhood photographs, videos and even journals/diaries. In another ten, twenty, thrity years down the road, we can all look back and marvel at how time has flown and things have changed.

Check out our own Jalan Kayu website and take a trip down memory lane :
http://jalankayutrail.blogspot.com/2007/02/old-jalan-kayu-photographs.html

Happy Constructing! And a Happy Lunar New Year!!!

4 comments:

miSSes EmoLicious said...

mdm low is so cute..
show me more of ur pic!

ummu

Benjamin said...

erm... i tot got 2 posts every weekends but y its like 1 post in 2weekends?

Pei Hwa Humanities Dept said...

sorry about that...I am trying to have one post every week...not 2 posts. Last week was simply too busy!!

Unknown said...

lol wad a cute pic